In 2020, the City of St. Thomas updated the Complex with 5 new scoreboards that were utilized during the 2020 Covid-shortened season by our league members. In 2021, we will continue to use the scoreboard for both Regular Season and Tournament play. The use of the scoreboards has significantly reduced the potential for scoring controversy and adds a visual element for our spectators.
Key Scoreboard Information:
- Scoreboards will be used for each game.
- Inning, Away, and Home Scores are the only requirements.
- Additional stats (Balls, Strikes, Outs, etc) can be included if the scoreboard operator wishes to keep track.
- The Home team is responsible for running the scoreboard.
- The Away team can offer an operator if the Home team agrees.
- The Scorekeeper (scorebook) does not have to run the scoreboard, a second person can run the controls.
- The Home team’s scorebook is official.
- The scoreboard should reflect the Home team’s scorebook.
- The Away team should immediately confirm the score during and after the game, especially if there is a difference compared to the Scoreboard/ Home Team’s scorebook.
Simplified Scoreboard Instructions can be downloaded here and will also be available at the park. Executive members will be available if you need further direction.
Challenging A Final Score:
- Opponents must be made aware.
- Please attempt to figure out the issue prior to bringing it to the Executive.
- To Challenge a score, please submit the following to the Executive:
- Picture of the final score on the scoreboard
- Picture of the Home & Away Scorebooks
- An Explanation of the issue
- THE SCORE MUST BE CHALLENGED ON THE DAY OF THE GAME
- The Executive will collect all information and make a final ruling ASAP.
Operating the scoreboard is simpler than expect and gets easier with every inning. There will be many people in addition to the Executive at the park who can offer direction when needed. Using the scoreboard helps to eliminate any scoring controversies and allows the spectators to be more involved in the game. Finally, the City made a significant financial investment in the Complex by installing the new scoreboard. By using the scoreboards, our League is demonstrating that we appreciate this investment which will hopefully encourage the City to make future contributions to the Slo-Pitch/Baseball/Fastball/Softball community.